Saturday, August 05, 2006

The breakdown continues...

So these are basically the last steps before the engine can come out. After this there is really not much else except removing the engine cradle, disconnecting the drive shaft, loosening the rear bolts that hold the engine to the frame and then removing the engine.

So this is what I did today. First I had to remove the upper engine mounting plates. If I didn't do this, there would have been no way that I would have been able to get the carburetor out.





Next, I removed the crankcase breather tubes from the heads.



After that I removed the carburetor. To do this I had to first remove the front intake tubes that are connected to the cylinder heads, then loosen the rear tubes. Next, I removed the choke and throttle cables, which is way easier than it sounds. Then pulled the thing free. The lack of enthusiasm in my writing can tell you how much fun this was.





Next I removed the shifter lever. I was stoked to find out you can adjust how high or low it sits (it was way too low before).



I then had to take out the starter. Man that thing was heavy, talk about a bag of rocks.



The clutch cable had to be disconnected from the clutch housing. Holy crap, that bugger did not want to come out. I had to loosen the bolts that held it tight, disengage the cable from the hand lever, and wrestle that monkey to the ground. However hard I tried, that thing did not want to come out. After taking the bull by the horns it finally came to submission.



While I was working on stuff I said to myself "hey, why don't I take off the rear fender"? So I did. Man, look at that tail light. That thing is huge! You know that thing has got to go. Anyone want a tail light?



As always, here is a final look of the bike so far. enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home