Saturday, June 23, 2007

brake work

Hey everyone. So here is the scoop. About a month ago I got the air filters in the mail, and took my battery in to get filled and charged. So I hooked up the battery and put on the air filters, hooked up the gas line with new fuel filter, filled the tank and turned the petcock. Next thing I know I have gas pouring out of my carb. It looked like the gas was coming from the seals. Here are a couple of pics of the bike with the carb and air filters.







So for the last month I have been trying to find a carb rebuild kit with no avail. However, I did find this amazing website (http://www.honda-motorsports.com They basically have every part of every sytem that is on almost any honda ever made. The closest I came to getting a rebuild kit was getting a gasket kit (so it is in the mail). In the mean time I bought I caliper rebuild kit and went to work.

So for about thirty bucks you get a small bag with a couple rubber parts. Well there is not really much to the caliper to begin with. First thing first, I had to get the piston out of the caliper and it was not budging. The rebuild article I was reading said to shoot a liitle air in the caliper and it should shoot right out. So I took it over to my friend Damen's house, and with one shot of air the piston was out like trout.

Back at the homestead came the fun part, cleaning. So the trick is to get into all the nooks and crannies and and to make sure you don't leave any dirt behind. The killer of all brakes is dirt. So I cleaned the heck out of it (tip: use denatured alcohol) and let it dry. Here are the parts.



Next I put in the new o-ring. So fresh and so clean. Then I rubbed the piston down with grease and slid it into the caliper. This did not go in smoothly. Once it saw the mallet in my hand it played nice.



Next was the dust boot. Fits like a glove.



Here is the finished producto.



The next step is to put it on the bike with the pads and bleed the brakes. The problem is that one of the mounting screws broke off into one of the holes. Luckily the bolt broke off into a pin that is removable. So along with my gasket order I ordered a new pin and bolt for the caliper. Here is a picture of the broken bolt because I know you like pictures.



So I have a gasket kit in the mail with my brake pin and bolt. Next week should be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home